Tuesday, July 8, 2008

that lysergic bliss

After spending about 4 days at my parents' house for the 4th of July weekend, I was starved for some interwebs when I got home Sunday. I meant to blog at some point in time, but now's a good a time as any right?

This is the most-emailed article on the New York Times right now. It's called "An Ideal Husband." It's about one of my favorite things to discuss, male-female relationships; but more specifically, how to pick a mate. The one thing that bothers me is the nagging sensation is that the reason it is #1 most-emailed article is that tons of women are emailing other women friends saying "this is it, a key to our dismal dating dowager lives!"

Just in case you don't feel like reading that short, entertaining article, I'll outline the guidelines and maybe make a comment about them if I see fit.

1. Does he have friends? Are they cool? (meaning decent people rather than hipsters who shop exclusively at urban outfitters . . . or some other kind of strange definition of "cool")

2. Is he responsible with money? dolla dolla bill, y'all.

3. Is he a doormat? My doormat is soaking wet at the moment because I'm cleaning my house and I set it outside to be in the sun. Unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten that it's monsoon season in Louisiana and it rains every afternoon. Just fyi.

4. How is his relationship with mama? Is he overly attached? run and don't look back. Aaaaand another lovely google image find.

5. Does he have a good sense of humor? Does this even need comment?

6. What is his family like? I've been chilling with the 40 (now 41) year old's nephew and it's given me a LOT of insight into the 40 year old's behavior. And I thought I was the black sheep.

7. Is he a good human being? crazy = not so good.

2 comments:

Clay Perry said...

all of those points are good for either sex really, just remember us guys are creatures of simplicity, just give us a sandwich & get naked once in a while & we are quite happy...

Peacebone said...

agreed . . . except on the sandwich, I'd rather have some fancy sushi or jug of wine.